Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Superglue shoe

I buy my shoes from factory shops. The ones I'm wearing today were R 75 for two pairs; sha-wing! What this means, really, is that I need to travel with superglue. Last time I was out in Makhaza I had to make an emergency stop at the Shoprite to stock up on on a tube of "Lightning Fast", and I've been carrying the little yellow and red striped tube around in my bag since then. Today, when walking the streets of Khayelitsha, my shoe came undone again. There wasn't an appropriate moment either there on the pavement between the wheelie bins, or sitting on a tatty maroon chair in the crowded municipal office in Stocks and Stocks, or enough space on the taxi on the way home to stick the pieces together so I'd been shoe-flopping my way around for the better part of my afternoon, which, due to a series of strange events included a lengthy walk through Woodstock.

But it's been a rough day and to restore some of my dignity I decided to pause for a moment before making my way home and to stick the pieces of my bright red cheapsie shoe back together.  Carol was walking out of the office as I bent over in my office chair, glue in hand. I looked up, our eyes met, and we both started cackling. So at least my damn superglue shoes have comic value...

1 comment:

  1. Well, that definitely seemed like it made a mess of your day! I can only imagine how irritating it was to walk around with a floppy shoe. Well, it was a good thing you found something positive out of everything! Guess the superglue did help somewhat! Shannon @ InstantCA.com

    ReplyDelete