Monday, June 4, 2012

Sing-sing-sing

My students are learning the national anthem. Singing it slowly, deliberately. Nolu, the Xhosa teacher, calls instructions over their muddled lines. Their Xhosa has an American twang to it. Strange that. I suppose I just assumed that all English-speakers would speak Xhosa with the same accent. But theirs is different to mine.

I've had a crap weekend, having destroyed every piece of technological equipment I've come into contact with. Obviously the destruction happened in between spending the weekend in my office working on my never-ending dissertation. So I'm not having the best Monday.

Somehow, knowing that despite my horrendous pronunciation, I still speak Xhosa in a more South African way than my students, has made me feel a little better about life. That and the fact that they called me in mid-blog to help with the Afrikaans verse. Nothing like a bit of a mid-morning sing-along to turn my Monday frown upside down... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment